News
LAPD reports 9th Valley burglary as Mayor Bass orders extra patrols
Burglars struck two more homes in and around the San Fernando Valley this weekend, bringing the total to nine since April 11.
The latest in the string of recent burglaries occurred after Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass announced Friday that she had directed the Los Angeles Police Department to increase patrols along Ventura Boulevard.
Police have not determined whether the burglaries are connected.
Officers responded to a call Saturday night in Toluca Lake, where burglars are said to have gotten away with high-value items such as jewelry and cash. The LAPD also responded to a call early Sunday for a break-in at a home in the Hollywood Hills.
Around 9:45 p.m. Saturday, police responded to a call at a home in the 4900 block of Strohm Avenue. The burglars pried open a window to get into a room on the second floor. Officers responded to a second call about 3:30 a.m. at a home a few miles away in the 3100 block of Lake Hollywood Drive.
Details of what burglars stole from that home were not yet available Sunday morning.
In addition to the six Valley-area burglaries previously reported by The Times, police confirmed officers responded to a call at 11:37 p.m. April 15 at a home in the 12600 block of Herron Street in Sylmar. The back door was smashed and the home ransacked.
“I’ve directed the LAPD to strategically deploy resources along Ventura Boulevard and to continue making this area a priority by holding these criminals accountable,” Bass said in a statement Friday. “Residents deserve to feel safe in their communities, especially in their homes, and we will continue to deploy the resources necessary to keep people safe.”
Numerous break-ins near Ventura Boulevard
Four of the previous burglaries occurred within two miles of Ventura Boulevard, with one other occurring about three and a half miles away. Another house that was hit was about eight miles away.
The first burglary was reported on the evening of April 11 in Sherman Oaks, in the 13000 block of Davana Terrace, about a block away from Ventura Boulevard.
Police responded the next day to a home in the Hollywood Hills in the 7100 block of Macapa Drive, where a resident had entered the home around 9:30 p.m. and found multiple burglars inside. Officers said the burglars assaulted the resident, who suffered minor injuries.
On April 14, police responded to a home in Valley Village, in the 11700 block of Hesby Street, around 8:30 p.m. Then, less than an hour later, officers were called to a home in Valley Glen, in the 12700 block of Hatteras Street, about a mile and a half away. Police said the suspects fled before their arrival.
Another home in Valley Glen was targeted the next day, with police responding to a call at a house in the 6800 block of Vanscoy Avenue. Two people wearing gray hoodies broke in but had fled before officers arrived, according to LAPD.
On Thursday, police responded to a call in Granada Hills about three men wearing masks and black clothing having broken into a home in the 11900 block of Wood Ranch Road.
Additionally, “The Suite Life of Zack & Cody” star Dylan Sprouse encountered a trespasser at his Hollywood Hills home Friday. Sources familiar with the incident told The Times that Sprouse tackled a man on the lawn near his home after his wife, Victoria’s Secret model Barbara Palvin, spotted “the creepy guy.”
Police said the suspect taken in on outstanding warrants did not make it inside the couple’s 1920s Spanish-style home, only onto the property.
Mayor announces increased LAPD patrols
In addition to extra patrols, the LAPD is deploying more vehicles in high-visibility locations; using mobile license plate readers around high-risk burglary areas; using air support to conduct patrols; holding weekly burglary meetings with detectives; and collaborating with specialized divisions such as the Robbery Homicide Division and the Commercial Crimes Division “to investigate high-value loss burglaries” as part of Bass’ directive.
At least one of Bass’ opponents in the upcoming L.A. mayoral election has called out her latest move.
“Bass is just grandstanding to appear tough on crime when she claims to ‘order’ the Chief of Police to specifically direct police resources,” former reality TV star turned mayoral hopeful Spencer Pratt said in a Saturday post on X. “The City Charter is very clear and limits of authority of the Mayor in this regard. The Chief is solely responsible for the day to day operations of the police department.”
Bass has previously announced directives regarding strategic LAPD deployment, including in March after a brawl broke out in connection to a street takeover near upscale apartments in downtown.
Valley residents previously demanded increased LAPD action
Break-ins have shaken up San Fernando Valley residents over the last year.
Some residents last summer said they were afraid and angry after “American Idol” music supervisor Robin Kaye, 70, and her rock musician husband, Tom DeLuca, also 70, were killed in their Encino home by an intruder. Raymond Boodarian, 23, was charged with murder and burglary.
At the time, community leaders had asked Bass to increase security in the area following the deadly home invasion and a string of other break-ins.
The Hayvenhurst Avenue home of “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Teddi Mellencamp was also targeted in July by three intruders who jumped a fence and entered the property.
Times staff writers Salvador Hernandez, Cierra Morgan, Dakota Smith, Emily St. Martin and Richard Winton contributed to this report.
News
Surveillance Prices. Hidden Fees. Shifting Costs. This Madness Must Stop.
It’s time to combat commercial surveillance with stronger laws on fair pricing.
News
Dry Martian Meteorite Reveals Early Water in Mars’s Crust
Billions of years ago, Mars was hypothesized to have been a habitable world with flowing liquid water and the potential for life. But directly studying its ancient past is currently limited to orbiters and rovers, as scientists have yet to obtain direct samples from Mars. However, meteorites have been found on Earth to have potentially originated from Mars during large impacts that flung chunks of the Red Planet into space, eventually being grabbed by Earth’s gravity and crashing into the Earth’s surface.
Now, an international team of scientists might be one step closer to piecing together Mars’ watery ancient past, and specifically how much water could have flowed across the Red Planet’s surface long ago. In findings recently published in the Geophysical Research Letters, a collaborative team of researchers led by the Technical University of Denmark investigated an intriguing meteorite with an even more intriguing name, “Black Beauty”, with the scientific designation of Northwest Africa 7034 (NWA 7034). What makes Black Beauty so intriguing is its designation as the only known meteorite that originated from the crust of Mars, having been blasted away during an impact billions of years ago, as Black Beauty is estimated to be about 4.4 to 4.5 billion years old.
Using a combination of X-ray and neutron tomography, the researchers analyzed Black Beauty with the goal of ascertaining if the ancient meteorite contained traces of water, also called hydrous materials in the scientific community. While X-ray tomography is used to identify the densest parts of Black Beauty while focusing on iron and silicon, neutron tomography was used to identify that previous “holes” found by normal X-rays were actually hydrous materials.
“Neutrons are particularly sensitive to hydrogen,” said Dr. David Mannes, who is a scientist at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI), a co-author on the study. Dr. Mannes collaborated with fellow study co-author, Dr. Anders Kaestner, on the neutron tomography at PSI. “In combination with X-ray tomography, we were not only able to detect tiny hydrated minerals, but also, for the first time, visualize larger, macroscopic hydrogen deposits.”
Essentially, the researchers identified that early Mars contained a water reservoir large enough to engage with the Martian surface and crust, resulting in water deposits into crustal rocks that eventually became Black Beauty. The researchers also note these materials are similar to materials found in Jezero Crater by NASA’s Perseverance rover. Therefore, Black Beauty continues to add a growing pile of evidence that Mars was a much warmer and wetter planet billions of years ago.
While Black Beauty has revealed intricate details regarding ancient Mars and its watery past, arguably the most famous meteorite from Mars is the Allan Hills 84001 (ALH84001) meteorite, which was recovered in Antarctica on December 27, 1984. However, it wasn’t until 1996 before scientists discovered it was potentially from Mars, as ALH84001 had initially been designated as an asteroid chunk, which are frequently discovered on Earth. Once scientists studied ALH84001, they discovered it contained unique structures they hypothesized could indicate signs of ancient Martian life.
While their 1996 study published in Science gained worldwide attention, including an official address from President Bill Clinton, the scientific community was quick to claim these features could have formed from non-biological processes. Regardless of its specific origin, both Black Beauty and ALH84001 demonstrate the importance of bringing back samples from Mars to reduce relying on ancient meteorites.
Unfortunately, the long-anticipated NASA-ESA Mars Sample Return mission was canceled by Congress due to ballooning costs, meaning all the sample tubes that NASA’s Perseverance rover has been depositing on the Martian surface is potentially for nought. For now, scientists have to rely on meteorites to unlock the secrets of ancient Mars, but China’s planned Tianwen-3 might be the first to return Mars samples to Earth sometime next decade.
What new insights into the “Black Beauty” meteorite and ancient Mars will researchers make in the coming years and decades? Only time will tell, and this is why we science!
As always, keep doing science & keep looking up!
News
Darth Vader to San Diego City Council: The Emperor liked Flock cameras

In a galaxy not so far, far away — well, in San Diego — the controversial police use of Flock surveillance cameras that photograph and record license plate numbers has at least one prominent supporter.
Darth Vader.
“The Emperor is a fan of Flock,” a person wearing a full-body costume of the “Star Wars” villain told a committee of the San Diego City Council this week, referencing Darth Vader’s evil, power-hungry boss, Emperor Palpatine, ruler of the Galactic Empire.
“And we must continue utilizing Flock technologies so that we can follow and surveil the Rebel scum as they move from playground to playground, from playground to pool, from pool to gymnasium,” the person said during public comments at a Wednesday meeting of the Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee.
The cosplayer, who breathed heavily into the microphone a la the movie villain, was formally called to the podium by the name Darth Vader.
It was a stance a bit out of sync with silver screen Darth, who famously told an Imperial stooge who got too braggadocious about the Empire’s planet-destroying Death Star: “Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed.”
But in a twist not quite as big as Darth telling Luke Skywalker he was his daddy, the bad guy in black showed up to the government meeting in San Diego to be sarcastic about Flock cameras. He didn’t actually support them at all.
Nor, it turns out, did a lot of people in the audience, who hoisted signs from the American Civil Liberties Union reading: “Get the Flock Out!”
The cosplayer’s sarcastic endorsement comes as Flock Safety — the company whose more than 120,000 artificial intelligence-enabled license plate readers can be found along roadsides in every state but Alaska — comes under increasing scrutiny by lawmakers, civil rights groups and members of the public who have expressed privacy concerns.
Dozens of mostly smaller cities have deactivated their Flock cameras or ended contracts with the company over concerns that it provides data to the Trump administration that can be used to track down immigrants for deportation.
And recent reporting by the Washington Post uncovered at least 50 instances nationwide in which law enforcement officials were accused of misusing their access to the cameras, largely to stalk former romantic partners or citizens.
Last month, the Los Angeles Police Department announced it was pausing its relationship with Flock, but police officials later said they were in the process of negotiating a new deal with the company that would include more data-sharing safeguards.
Both Mayor Karen Bass and her opponent in the November mayoral election, Councilmember Nithya Raman, have said the city should stop working with Flock.
The company, whose automated license readers document plate data as vehicles drive past, says it has partnerships with 5,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide.
Amid public backlash, the company announced this month several platform changes, including a shorter data retention window and audit tools for law enforcement customers intended to flag abnormal search behavior.
In San Diego, Flock cameras are affixed to streetlights in about 500 locations, according to the 2025 Annual Surveillance Report by the San Diego Police Department.
In addition to plate numbers, the report states, the cameras record the date, time and location of the scan, as well as vehicle descriptors such as make, model and color.
The information is encrypted and transmitted to a secure database that can be accessed only by San Diego police personnel, according to the department. The data is saved for 30 days and automatically deleted unless it is being used as evidence in an active investigation, according to the department.
The report says San Diego police officers last year conducted more than 244,000 investigative searches of the data and that it played a “key role in advancing 361 cases.”
The data, per the department, helped officers recover 259 stolen vehicles and find four missing people, as well as aiding the investigations of around nine of the city’s 28 homicides in 2025.
In a presentation to the Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee in November, San Diego Police Capt. Charles Lara said the technology “has been truly game-changing for our department, especially while we continue to operate with hundreds of officers below ideal staffing levels.”
Lt. Kristopher McAndrew said the “vast majority of data is never viewed” and that the police department does not share data with federal or out-of-state law enforcement agencies or private entities.
At the meeting this week, Darth Vader — who, like everyone else who approached the podium, was allotted two minutes of speaking time — said of the Flock camera system: “I need this so I can stalk my ex-girlfriend.”
He asked the City Council members how residents will continue to trust them when they continue to vote “for surveillance technology that imprisons them.”
He advised one of the council members to work on her Jedi mind tricks to fool them, then raised his hand to the audience, saying: “Do it like this.”
“This technology will help us find the Rebel scum and their hidden base on Hoth,” he said, referencing the ice planet in the “Star Wars” universe. “This technology will help us find Luke Skywalker as he traverses the universe in his X-wing. This technology is a necessary, necessary force.”
-
News3 weeks agoInterstellar Travel: the Birth of Fusion Drives
-
Trending2 weeks agoThe 9 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2026
-
Trending2 weeks agoMeet Carrie Coon’s famous actor husband with 16-year age gap — and their two children
-
News3 weeks agoScientist Constructs “Big Picture” of Mars Water from Rover Data
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoSex is legal once a year in lame rom-com
-
Trending3 weeks agoFamily pushes for answers after 3 people found dead in Rocky Mount home days after electricity cut :: WRAL.com
-
News2 weeks agoSpaceX Junk Hits the Moon. Not a Good Sign
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoPerez Hilton’s family says he’s ‘able to communicate’ after ‘suicide attempt’
