News
Peacemaker, aspiring nurse among victims in Compton shootings
A community activist who previously served as a government aide for a California lawmaker and a university student studying to become a nurse were among the three people killed in two separate shootings in Compton on Saturday.
The shootings, which also injured four people, occurred at two Fourth of July block parties about two miles apart, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. Investigators said there was no evidence that the shootings were related.
The first was reported at 11:20 p.m. in the 700 block of West Laurel Street, where five people were shot. A man and young woman were pronounced dead at the scene. A woman, child and man were wounded and taken to hospitals, according to the Sheriff’s Department.
The woman and child suffered non-life-threatening injuries, and the man was listed in critical condition, authorities said.
The Los Angeles County medical examiner’s office identified the young woman as 19-year-old Meah Bordenave-Jenkins. Authorities have not identified the second victim who died.
But in a statement Monday, Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson (D-Carson) named the man as Eric Washington, a former staffer.
“I do understand that Eric was attempting to deescalate a conflict during the holiday block party with children and families,” Gipson wrote. “It is no surprise that during the moment of this terrible act, Eric was trying to save a community by preventing a situation that would have taken lives. This bravery cost him his own life.”
Gipson said Washington had worked for him serving his district, which includes Compton. He described Washington as a talented communicator, a community organizer and a caring man who gave his heart and soul for his community.
“I am grieving — devastated by the loss and murder of this great young person. He tried everything possible to save Black and Brown boys in our community, especially against gun violence, and I am dismayed that what he fought against took his life,” Gipson wrote.
He said Washington also served as field deputy for forme Los Angeles City Councilmember Joe Buscaino.
In an Instagram post, Buscaino said he was heartbroken to hear about Washington’s death.
“Eric was so much more than a colleague. He was a son, brother, cousin, uncle, nephew, friend, mentor, and peacemaker,” he wrote. “He was a trailblazer and a public servant in the truest sense of the word.”
Gipson said Washington was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, one of the oldest African American fraternities in the U.S., according to its website. He said Washington attended Compton College, the University of North Texas and Grambling State University.
At a morning news conference Monday outside Compton City Hall, the mother of Bordenave-Jenkins said her daughter was a sophomore at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, who was studying to become a nurse and was visiting family when the shooting occurred, according to NBC4.
“She was full of life. Very compassionate. Very giving. She would do anything for anybody that asked. It’s devastating she’s no longer amongst us,” Ebone Jenkins said, according to the news station.
Bordenave-Jenkins reportedly had plans to take family members to church on Sunday before visiting Knott’s Berry Farm with a cousin this week.
About 40 minutes after the shooting that killed Bordenave-Jenkins and Washington, a second shooting took place in the 2100 block of North Grandee Avenue. Two Black men were shot. One was pronounced dead at the scene, and the other was taken to a hospital, according to the Sheriff’s Department.
The medical examiner identified the victim who died as 38-year-old Thaddeus Clark of Rialto.
The shootings marked a bloody weekend for Los Angeles County, which saw another shooting Sunday night in East Los Angeles that left four people wounded.
Najee Ali, director of Project Islamic Hope, said that the shootings in Compton were tragedies that could have been prevented and that there were questions about whether the city and the Sheriff’s Department could have done more to keep people safe.
Ali scheduled a “peace gathering to end gun violence” at 6 p.m. Monday outside the Compton Courthouse.
News
Surveillance Prices. Hidden Fees. Shifting Costs. This Madness Must Stop.
It’s time to combat commercial surveillance with stronger laws on fair pricing.
News
Dry Martian Meteorite Reveals Early Water in Mars’s Crust
Billions of years ago, Mars was hypothesized to have been a habitable world with flowing liquid water and the potential for life. But directly studying its ancient past is currently limited to orbiters and rovers, as scientists have yet to obtain direct samples from Mars. However, meteorites have been found on Earth to have potentially originated from Mars during large impacts that flung chunks of the Red Planet into space, eventually being grabbed by Earth’s gravity and crashing into the Earth’s surface.
Now, an international team of scientists might be one step closer to piecing together Mars’ watery ancient past, and specifically how much water could have flowed across the Red Planet’s surface long ago. In findings recently published in the Geophysical Research Letters, a collaborative team of researchers led by the Technical University of Denmark investigated an intriguing meteorite with an even more intriguing name, “Black Beauty”, with the scientific designation of Northwest Africa 7034 (NWA 7034). What makes Black Beauty so intriguing is its designation as the only known meteorite that originated from the crust of Mars, having been blasted away during an impact billions of years ago, as Black Beauty is estimated to be about 4.4 to 4.5 billion years old.
Using a combination of X-ray and neutron tomography, the researchers analyzed Black Beauty with the goal of ascertaining if the ancient meteorite contained traces of water, also called hydrous materials in the scientific community. While X-ray tomography is used to identify the densest parts of Black Beauty while focusing on iron and silicon, neutron tomography was used to identify that previous “holes” found by normal X-rays were actually hydrous materials.
“Neutrons are particularly sensitive to hydrogen,” said Dr. David Mannes, who is a scientist at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI), a co-author on the study. Dr. Mannes collaborated with fellow study co-author, Dr. Anders Kaestner, on the neutron tomography at PSI. “In combination with X-ray tomography, we were not only able to detect tiny hydrated minerals, but also, for the first time, visualize larger, macroscopic hydrogen deposits.”
Essentially, the researchers identified that early Mars contained a water reservoir large enough to engage with the Martian surface and crust, resulting in water deposits into crustal rocks that eventually became Black Beauty. The researchers also note these materials are similar to materials found in Jezero Crater by NASA’s Perseverance rover. Therefore, Black Beauty continues to add a growing pile of evidence that Mars was a much warmer and wetter planet billions of years ago.
While Black Beauty has revealed intricate details regarding ancient Mars and its watery past, arguably the most famous meteorite from Mars is the Allan Hills 84001 (ALH84001) meteorite, which was recovered in Antarctica on December 27, 1984. However, it wasn’t until 1996 before scientists discovered it was potentially from Mars, as ALH84001 had initially been designated as an asteroid chunk, which are frequently discovered on Earth. Once scientists studied ALH84001, they discovered it contained unique structures they hypothesized could indicate signs of ancient Martian life.
While their 1996 study published in Science gained worldwide attention, including an official address from President Bill Clinton, the scientific community was quick to claim these features could have formed from non-biological processes. Regardless of its specific origin, both Black Beauty and ALH84001 demonstrate the importance of bringing back samples from Mars to reduce relying on ancient meteorites.
Unfortunately, the long-anticipated NASA-ESA Mars Sample Return mission was canceled by Congress due to ballooning costs, meaning all the sample tubes that NASA’s Perseverance rover has been depositing on the Martian surface is potentially for nought. For now, scientists have to rely on meteorites to unlock the secrets of ancient Mars, but China’s planned Tianwen-3 might be the first to return Mars samples to Earth sometime next decade.
What new insights into the “Black Beauty” meteorite and ancient Mars will researchers make in the coming years and decades? Only time will tell, and this is why we science!
As always, keep doing science & keep looking up!
News
Darth Vader to San Diego City Council: The Emperor liked Flock cameras

In a galaxy not so far, far away — well, in San Diego — the controversial police use of Flock surveillance cameras that photograph and record license plate numbers has at least one prominent supporter.
Darth Vader.
“The Emperor is a fan of Flock,” a person wearing a full-body costume of the “Star Wars” villain told a committee of the San Diego City Council this week, referencing Darth Vader’s evil, power-hungry boss, Emperor Palpatine, ruler of the Galactic Empire.
“And we must continue utilizing Flock technologies so that we can follow and surveil the Rebel scum as they move from playground to playground, from playground to pool, from pool to gymnasium,” the person said during public comments at a Wednesday meeting of the Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee.
The cosplayer, who breathed heavily into the microphone a la the movie villain, was formally called to the podium by the name Darth Vader.
It was a stance a bit out of sync with silver screen Darth, who famously told an Imperial stooge who got too braggadocious about the Empire’s planet-destroying Death Star: “Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed.”
But in a twist not quite as big as Darth telling Luke Skywalker he was his daddy, the bad guy in black showed up to the government meeting in San Diego to be sarcastic about Flock cameras. He didn’t actually support them at all.
Nor, it turns out, did a lot of people in the audience, who hoisted signs from the American Civil Liberties Union reading: “Get the Flock Out!”
The cosplayer’s sarcastic endorsement comes as Flock Safety — the company whose more than 120,000 artificial intelligence-enabled license plate readers can be found along roadsides in every state but Alaska — comes under increasing scrutiny by lawmakers, civil rights groups and members of the public who have expressed privacy concerns.
Dozens of mostly smaller cities have deactivated their Flock cameras or ended contracts with the company over concerns that it provides data to the Trump administration that can be used to track down immigrants for deportation.
And recent reporting by the Washington Post uncovered at least 50 instances nationwide in which law enforcement officials were accused of misusing their access to the cameras, largely to stalk former romantic partners or citizens.
Last month, the Los Angeles Police Department announced it was pausing its relationship with Flock, but police officials later said they were in the process of negotiating a new deal with the company that would include more data-sharing safeguards.
Both Mayor Karen Bass and her opponent in the November mayoral election, Councilmember Nithya Raman, have said the city should stop working with Flock.
The company, whose automated license readers document plate data as vehicles drive past, says it has partnerships with 5,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide.
Amid public backlash, the company announced this month several platform changes, including a shorter data retention window and audit tools for law enforcement customers intended to flag abnormal search behavior.
In San Diego, Flock cameras are affixed to streetlights in about 500 locations, according to the 2025 Annual Surveillance Report by the San Diego Police Department.
In addition to plate numbers, the report states, the cameras record the date, time and location of the scan, as well as vehicle descriptors such as make, model and color.
The information is encrypted and transmitted to a secure database that can be accessed only by San Diego police personnel, according to the department. The data is saved for 30 days and automatically deleted unless it is being used as evidence in an active investigation, according to the department.
The report says San Diego police officers last year conducted more than 244,000 investigative searches of the data and that it played a “key role in advancing 361 cases.”
The data, per the department, helped officers recover 259 stolen vehicles and find four missing people, as well as aiding the investigations of around nine of the city’s 28 homicides in 2025.
In a presentation to the Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods Committee in November, San Diego Police Capt. Charles Lara said the technology “has been truly game-changing for our department, especially while we continue to operate with hundreds of officers below ideal staffing levels.”
Lt. Kristopher McAndrew said the “vast majority of data is never viewed” and that the police department does not share data with federal or out-of-state law enforcement agencies or private entities.
At the meeting this week, Darth Vader — who, like everyone else who approached the podium, was allotted two minutes of speaking time — said of the Flock camera system: “I need this so I can stalk my ex-girlfriend.”
He asked the City Council members how residents will continue to trust them when they continue to vote “for surveillance technology that imprisons them.”
He advised one of the council members to work on her Jedi mind tricks to fool them, then raised his hand to the audience, saying: “Do it like this.”
“This technology will help us find the Rebel scum and their hidden base on Hoth,” he said, referencing the ice planet in the “Star Wars” universe. “This technology will help us find Luke Skywalker as he traverses the universe in his X-wing. This technology is a necessary, necessary force.”
-
News3 weeks agoInterstellar Travel: the Birth of Fusion Drives
-
Trending2 weeks agoThe 9 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2026
-
Trending2 weeks agoMeet Carrie Coon’s famous actor husband with 16-year age gap — and their two children
-
News3 weeks agoScientist Constructs “Big Picture” of Mars Water from Rover Data
-
Trending3 weeks agoFamily pushes for answers after 3 people found dead in Rocky Mount home days after electricity cut :: WRAL.com
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoSex is legal once a year in lame rom-com
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoPerez Hilton’s family says he’s ‘able to communicate’ after ‘suicide attempt’
-
News2 weeks agoSpaceX Junk Hits the Moon. Not a Good Sign
